Monday, August 29, 2011

A Letter to Parents

Dear Parents,

I am so excited to have my own class again and to have your child in my class. I enjoyed teaching computers and knowing all the students in the building, but I am looking forward to having the same group everyday and getting to know them really well.

I think it will be a lot more fun having a regular classroom. As a computer teacher I had to run a pretty tight ship. One reason was the computer lab equipment cost over $50,000 and there are no funds to replace broken computers. Another was the limited amount of time with each class. In the hour each week students had computers we had to practice keyboarding, cover the Michigan Technology Standards, learn Spanish vocabulary (which I was asked to start last year), and hopefully squeeze in some time for exploration (which I believe is one of the best ways to learn). Although a classroom schedule can get busy, there is room for fun, too.

I am excited to teach fourth grade because that was my favorite year growing up. It was the first grade that I got "A's" in. It was the year I fell in love with reading chapter books. I have other great memories of that year, and the year was great because of my teacher. I look forward to making this a great year for your child the same way she made fourth grade great for me.

When I taught third grade for two years downstate I really bonded with my classes. I enjoyed going to their sporting events and performances. I returned for their eighth grade graduations from the school and exchanged Christmas cards with some of the families for many years. For the last 13 years I have been a "Special" teacher to the students of Charlevoix Elementary School. This year I look forward to having a group of kids special to me.

Thank you for letting me be your child’s fourth grade teacher,

Miss Dana Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment